When I heard the news last night that our prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, had passed away, I was deeply saddened. It felt like a light had gone out. It seemed that he had been the president of the church for so many important years of my life. In our Stake Conference yesterday, President Richins talked about the dedication of the Bountiful Temple 13 years ago, and he quoted from the dedicatory prayer given by President Hunter. President Hunter died soon after that dedication and President Hinckley was sustained as our Prophet. I had to stop and reflect on that day and the changes in our lifes during the thirteen years since. I love President Hinckley. I love his energy, his optimism, his straightforward style, and his desire to draw us to the Savior. When he gave his important address to the youth of the church, "the B's", I was a Young Women President and as I sat with the Young Women and my own daughters, I was so touched. He talked frankly to the youth and I realized how in touch he was with all of us as he spoke in an upbeat way about a plan to lead a better life. He had so many wonderful quotes a few of my favorites are:
"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
"In my ninety-plus years, I have learned a secret. I have learned that when good men and good women face challenges with optimism, things will always work out! Truly, things always work out ! Despite how difficult circumstances may look at the moment, those who have faith and move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out."
I love how President Hinckley said that all the good things that had happened to him in this life, happened because of the gospel..... With my whole heart, I feel the same way.
I love this picture. It has been in our home for many years. It was taken at BYU at the dedication of the LaVell Edwards Stadium. A relative of mine had a friend that took the picture and she got me several copies. It is in the home of all my children and it is how I will always remember him.
3 comments:
I have treasured this picture,too. Thank you so much for giving it to us. I have had so many comments on it. I put it on my dining table for all to see and for me to remember today.
We love that picture at our house. It sits in Ike's room and he loves Grandpa Hinckley!
What a nice post, Mom. That reminds me, I can't remember where I put that picture...I need to pull it out.
Post a Comment