Monday, November 9, 2009

The Three Houses of the Pew's




In 1975, a most ridiculously young and inexperienced couple, namely, US, made a deliberate decision to move to Kaysville. We bought a lot in a subdivision that had a handful of homes. We knew we didn't want to move as far North as Layton, but we couldn't afford anything farther South. We picked a house plan that was very traditional (cape cod) but not the trend of the '70's. We paid $6,200 for our lot and the finished home was $28,000. Reed and my dad did a great deal of the work. Other family members, like my brother Mike, pitched in too. It was a great home and we met some wonderful people that we grew to love. We moved to that home when Amby was a few weeks old. In 1978, we purchased our next lot and built our home for $80,000. We moved three year old Amby and newborn Macy to this home, where we lived for 22 years. Molly and Ali were born and raised in this home. In 1999, we moved to our present home, just up the road in Fruit Heights. We picked the lot and built a dream home that would host three weddings, an 80 year old birthday for my mother, our 50th birthdays, many other birthdays, showers, Easter Egg Hunts, Christmases, Thanksgivings, pool parties, family dinners and fun events. Kaysville has changed a lot in the 34 years we have lived here. When we first moved to Kaysville, there was one traffic light, one drive-in restaurant (Kosmos) and 2 grocery stores. I have wonderful memories of Kaysville and have grown to love the places and people. Some of the places that are memorable are:
Clytie Adams Alley: dropping off and waiting for dancers.
Bowman's Market: where you shouldn't go if you are in a hurry because you will run into too many people you know. (Molly and Ali used to jog down there in the mornings for a do-nut)
The Kaysville Theater: they have the best popcorn ever and I've been known to run in and get a bucket while Reed drives around the block
The Kaysville Post Office: We didn't have missionaries, but I love the fact that the Kaysville Post office calls you when you get your mission call to come down early in the morning to receive it. I'm not sure if this still happens but it did for many years.
The Layton Farm Store: You could buy any Christmas tree for $10.
The Drive up 200 North: A great view of the Mountains...all four seasons.
Davis High: I was far from a DART when we moved here, but I ended up being so grateful that our kids were able to spend their high school days there.
The Kaysville Cemetery: where everyone, walks and jogs.
Happy Hollow: a good place to sleigh ride
Tasty Donuts: a local favorite
The Clover Club Factory: Now long gone, but the smell of fresh potato chips is a great memory.
Fourth of July in Kaysville: We don't even stay in town anymore, but back in the day there was nothing like the candy-throwing, water hosing, small town parade and the fabulous fireworks at the stadium.
Kaysville Drug: Also long gone, but every December 24th everything was 50% off.
Crestwood Road: I love to drive East toward Highway 89.

More important than the places of Kaysville are the people we have known here in each place we have lived. We have made meaningful friendships and the people we have met through our children are a unique connection. Our children are all grown and gone and there really isn't any reason why we still live here except for now it is home.




8 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Julie, I have to confess to lurking your blog. I don't even remember how I found it. But after this post I just have to say it was the ladies like you and Mary and Carolyn that helped make Kaysville home for me. I feel just the same!
Michelle (Butler)

Molly said...

Great Post Mom! I had no idea that a post would ever appear on your blog again...I was hoping you would post a pic of your new front door and pictures of the 200 East house. That is hilarious how much you paid for that first house...I love that house and one day hope to own one just like it...only bigger and worth more money:)

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Great post, Julie- I enjoyed the history. Reading about Kaysville Drug reminded me that for some reason I used to think for several years that one of your girls had told me you worked in the Green Apple when they were younger. No idea how I actually came to believe it, but now that I know better, I still love to imagine you serving up the customers at the Green Apple.

The Back Row Pew said...

Ry- So funny about the green apple. I don't think I ever ate a meal there but working there....
That would never happen. I had a hard enough time serving my own crowd a meal

Ali said...

are you moving??????

Macy said...

Oh, I definitely ate at the Green apple a couple of times. Loved old Kaysville drug and their 10 cent slush puppies.

That was a really sweet post mom. It really took me back. I love those two cape cod houses. Funny, how I still look for that style now.

Bethers said...

That was so fun to read. I haven't been blogging but just stumbled on. I need to do this with our family homes. Loved the memories because I was there for many!

GeNee said...

That was so fun to read. It was fun to list all the great things we love about our home town. You are a great writer. I am glad my kids went to Davis High too. Even if the colors are brown and gold. I am actually kind of liking brown and gold now.