Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Souper-Bowl


Super Bowl Sunday has always been quite meaningless in our household. With four girls, that had no interest ,and a dad who enjoys the college game infinitely more, we never celebrated this national holiday. I found myself quite out- of- it yesterday when I went to the grocery store and realized I was the only one there not picking up my Seven Layer Dip, Meatballs and Wings. Macy had warned me about Costco and the crowds picking up all their items for the Super Bowl, so I avoided that but since I had to get a few groceries for my mom, I chose Dick's Market. It was loaded with fans buying football shaped cakes, cookies and ice cream in the Super Bowl flavors. I ran into my long-time friend Pat (the Ultimate Health Queen) and she was filling her cart with chips, soda pop and other Super Bowl-ish snacks. She is the most unlikely person to watch football, or so I thought. I felt like everyone was checking my cart out and wondering why I had only selected grapes, milk and french bread. I threw in a container of guacamole just to feel a little less conspicuous. So today, in honor of the super bowl I made the most delicious and Healthy soup. It tasted great while we flipped between golf, news, a movie and once in awhile the Super Bowl. Here is the recipe given to me by my friend, neighbor and gourmet cook, Denise.

Roasted Winter Squash and Apple Soup
1 large butternut Squash
1 medium sweet potato
Bake in a 375 Degree Oven for 45 min
Cut in to chunks, 1 onion, 2 stalks celery, 1 tart apple that has been peeled and cored
Spread vegetables onto a cookie sheet
Mix 1 tsp minced garlic with 1/2 cup olive oil and drizzle over vegetables
Season with Sea Salt and Pepper
Roast in oven 30 minutes stirring every 10 min
Remove Squash, sweet potato, scoop insides into food processor and add vegetables
Pour 1/2 can Chicken stock or broth and puree in food processor. Add more broth if needed.
Pour 2 cans chicken broth into a medium pot and simmer. Add pureed mixture to broth and stir until blended
Add 1/2 tsp chile powder. Correct seasoning if needed. Serve in warm bowls with french bread. YUM !!

6 comments:

Macy said...

mmm, sounds so yummy. I am with on the super bowl. Not an NFL fan at all, and all the hype makes me a little crazy. We did go to the Massey's for a little party, but more of a birthday party, and I didn't see a second of the game.

Molly said...

Well, I sat on the couch staring at the game all afternoon and can tell you that I DIDN'T see a bit of it either! Boring! I did enjoy some of the commercials, but my mind kept wondering to what other kind of entertainment might be on the other channels that we were never allowed to change to.

Bethers said...

The soup sounds yummy but like it takes thought and work! Our house was loaded with people Sunday even before we got home from stake conference and still smells like ribs today.

Ali said...

that looks real good! I think this superbowl was the first I have ever gone to a super bowl party for. I "watched" with a bunch of friends who aren't in to football either. so we talked a lot and watched the animal super bowl too, on animal planet. i liked that monster commercial though, show dad..he'll think its funny.

Carly said...

that soups looks good. I want to try it; can you pick up butternut squash anywhere? I didn't see a minute of the game either...we were too busy watching a friend try on wedding dresses in the other room, much more interesting.

GeNee said...

That sounds so good, I will have to make that for sure. I want to have a super bowl party but not watch the super bowl.